Re: Nways Campus Manager distributed polling / data collection

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nways Campus Manager distributed polling / data collection
From: Jim Kellock <jkelloc@IBM.NET>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 09:45:14 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Jane Curry wrote:

> In Campus Manager LAN, there appear to be 2 separate methods for
> offloading polling and data collection - Java-enabled, distributed
> intelligent agents or using MLMs.  Can anyone comment on the pros and
> cons of either method?  Which gives me most "out-of-thr-box"?  What
> management procedures do I need to put around them (eg. I assume if I
> use MLM to gather data, I need to setup a cron job to ship the data to a
> central station).

The Java Performance Monitor (JPM) that ships with Nways Manager for AIX
version 1.2 and 1.2.1 is part of the web-based approach being taken by
many vendors.  The Distributed Information Agents (DIAs) running on
remote AIX or NT workstations (or the NMS- just like MLM)collect data
selected by the user from the available JPM mib binary.  JPM does not
currently ship with a mib compiler.  It ships with full mibII, all IBM
mibs, RMON, Cisco, Xylan, and a few others.  The JPM collects data and
updates to a JDBC compliant RDBMS.  Nways 1.2.x licenses ship with a
fully licensed copy of DB/2 v5 Univseral DB.  Some report templates are
provided, and the RDBMS is available for SQL.  It will support any JDBC
compliant RDBMS.

There is a requirement in place to add a compiler and to ship JPM with
additional mibs pre-compiled.  This is, as they say, "Emerging
Technology", which means the product is not yet as full featured as the
more mature MLM, but it already gives you great flexibility in terms of
availability of stored data in the RDBMS.

MLM, on the other hand, was designed as a systems management application
whose use has been extended to network devices such as routers, etc.
Its integration with Netview is far more complete than the JPM.  But to
add an extended set of enterprise mibs to MLM takes some time and
knowledge.

I use both of them- and other things as well.  Depends on the network
and how the customer uses it.

For some detail on the JPM from one of the developers, see
www.networking.ibm.com/cma/quick_guide_jpm.html

Hope this helps.