Re: New on the list (Listserver tips)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: New on the list (Listserver tips)
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:34:23 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
*) Where's the FAQ?

There isn't one.  But you can search the archives (they go back to Jan.
1996 I believe).
For example, suppose you wanted to see everything on HSRP since January
1998.
The current system can handle simple searches:

  - send mail to listserv@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu with the body of the mail
    containing the text

             search nv-l hsrp from 1998/1/1

  - in the reply from it will be a list of matching messages, and
    instructions on how to obtain any (or all) of them.

 The note you got when you subscribed says you might want to send a get
 request to the listserv for some documents on how the list works, LISTSERV
 MEMO and LISTSERV REFCARD.  You can also get LISTDB MEMO.  Most people
 haven't read them but you could become an expert if you are willing to
 invest the time.

*) Where do I find archives of the list to browse before asking
 questions that have already been answered?

You can get monthly logs of the list this way:

  - send mail to listserv@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu with the body of the mail
    containing the text

             get NV-L LOGyymm

  where yy is the 2-digit year and mm the 2-digit month.

*) Where is IBMs NetView page, searching for it leads to a
   "server is being reorganized" page?

That's probably because there is not a NetView page any longer.  NetView is
    owned by the
Tivoli Division now and you get info on it from the Tivoli home page,
   www.tivoli.com.
Click on Products and you will find NetView.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

pcfe@UNIX-AG.UNI-KL.DE on 06/24/98 08:57:42 AM

Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU

I am new on the list, and have the usual newbie questions:

*) Where's the FAQ?

*) Where do I find archives of the list to browse before asking
   questions that have already been answered?

*) Where is IBMs NetView page, searching for it leads to a
   "server is being reorganized" page?

Thanks

Patrick Ernzer