NetView and HSRP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView and HSRP
From: Maria Burke <mburke@RPM.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:19:16 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We are running NetView 4.1 and Cisco's HSRP on our routers.  About a month
ago, I deleted the database and did a fresh discovery several times while
testing the use of loopbacks on the routers (NetView is configured to
discover loopbacks).  In DNS, the loopback is the hostname of the router
(and thereby the name I want as my selection name in NetView).  At this
time, I was discovering all of my routers correctly -- by loopback and
therefore by the correct hostname.  I've since applied APAR U456664 and this
is no longer working; some of my routers discover by the loopback address
and some do not.  I can only assume the APAR caused this problem because I
had tested the use of loopbacks many times before this one final database
deletion.  Has anyone else experienced this problem or is there a workaround
to managing HSRP in NetView?  I've seen emails about adding the routers to a
host file but we prefer not to use a host file.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Thanks!

Maria Burke