Re: Problem with ovtopmd

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problem with ovtopmd
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:08:30 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
ovstart, ovstop, and ovstatus are commands to ovspmd.   The command
interface is single-threaded, so if you do an ovstart, and then an ovstatus
before it completes, the ovstatus will hang waiting its chance to run.
This is normal.

If you think you have problems with one daemon, then try starting them one
at a time, or a few at a time, to help  isolate the culprit.  For a
suspicion that ovtopmd is a problem, I would do
     ovstart nvsecd
     ovstart ovwdb
     ovstart pmd
     ovstart trapd
     and finally, ovstart ovtopmd
and see where the bottleneck is.  If ovtopmd is really the problem, then I
recommend a general database cleanup.
I'd wait for ovtopmd to come up, however long it takes, do a plain ovstart
to bring up the rest of the daemons, and then  run (1) ovmapcount -a and
(2) ovtopofix -A (-a if you have more than one map).

If that doesn't help, then please call Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

gc080@CIVILITY.AMSTERDAM.NL on 06/22/98 05:59:52 AM

Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU