netmon problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: netmon problems
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:46:40 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This almost always means that you have a bad entry in your seedfile. If you
look at the file
/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace, it will probably tell you which node was bad. You may
not out
unresolveable hostnames in your seedfile. You may put in entries for nodes that
don't
exist, or are not up, and you may put in the IP address of anything you want,
but if you use
names (or something that netview interprets as a name because it is invalid as
an address),
then the name must be resolvable, as in 'host < name>' or 'nslookup <name>'.
Hope this helps.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

Hi,

I have a problem with NetView for AIX V4R1

I configured a seed file via smit as explained in the documetation

But since I did that, every time I start NetView I get the error

The network monitor (netmon) is not running.
Restart it with the command: ovstart netmon.

Doing this will not help (i.e. the error pops up again after a short time.

If I do ovstart -v I see

 object manager name: netmon
 behavior:            OVs_WELL_BEHAVED
 state:               RUNNING
 PID:                 20380
 last message:        Initialization complete.
 exit status:         -

Now please bear with me, I was put in front of NetView 3 days ago
and I'm still struggling with it...

Would a kind soul help me.

RU

PCFE

BTW: Yes I did try to search for the info via the listserver,
     but netmon is not a good search term...
--------------- http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~pcfe -------------------
                                   | And if I say I hate this place
 Patrick C. F. Ernzer              | Don't take it as personal
 e-mail:  pcfe@gmx.net             | Just coz I want to kill somebody
--go-and-make-your-own-disclaimer--+-------New-Model-Army----125-mph--