Re: Ref. : Re: Symbol deletion and manual adding question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ref. : Re: Symbol deletion and manual adding question
From: SHANKS@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:44:41 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Thierry, you are correct and I was mistaken.
The purpose of this append is to clarify my mistake to everyone who may be
listening.

It is possible to add just a symbol for an existing object and I was able
to do it myself.  But it stayed blue until I did a demand poll on the
interfaces and the node, and that may have something to do with the problem
that prompted all this.  That I do not know for sure.  What I do know is
that my netmon was down when I deleted and re-added this symbol, and as you
pointed out, I had to do it very carefully to make sure that what I was
adding matched the existing object and was ipmap-capable.   I checked the
object description after I was done and it matched but I could not get the
blue color to go away.  It remained after ovtopofix as well.  To get it to
go green, I had to restart netmon and later demand poll the objects.   But
I was working on a very large database and it may be that in a smaller one
this woudl happen more quickly by itself.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

thierry.van-mol@CIEV.VD.CH on 06/18/98 04:16:00 AM

Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU