Re: Netview's Y2K compliance.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview's Y2K compliance.
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:21:35 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Ok, let me try again.  But this should not be news to you if you have V5
now.    V5 installed via the Tivoli framework and not by installp the way
V4 does.  So V5 does not have PTFs.  It has Tivoli-style maintenance
instead.  There are two flavors to Tivoli maintenance: patches and (new)
releases.   There are no patches to NetView V5.  All fixes are being
bundled with new function in V5.1  as a full-product replacement.  It was
either that or produce dozens of independent patches and then a new release
as well.  This way it is all tested together.  There may be patches for
NetView in the future but not today.

So the answer to your question is yes, to get NetView V5 FULLY Y2K
compliant you will need to upgrade to V5.1.
And V5.1 will be available in all geographies where V5 is currently sold
concurrently.  There are no delays in availability except shipping  (
however long it takes your local center to download or obtain the stuff).

And I must point out that  NetView V4 and V5 are 99% Y2K compliant now.
There are some minor user-interface fixes in the next round of maintenance.
These include  a couple of log file date/time stamps, a fix for setting
event filters based on date and time, and a fix to a random number
generator in snmpCollect which is based on date and time.  NONE of these is
a critical, earth-shattering , "I-cannot-live-without-them" fixes.  And the
rest of NetView has been tested and found fully Y2K compliant.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Erdinc.Degirmencioglu@BARCLAYS.CO.UK on 06/30/98 12:29:39 PM

Please respond to NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU