Re: How to send my traps to another network management station ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How to send my traps to another network management station ?
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:40:57 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Well,  Moe, I am frankly in the dark.  Looks like the GUI function is
broken.  If you want to pursue that, then please call Support. But I can
give you a manual procedure to get trapd to forward traps.  I know this
function works in V5 because I am currently doing it.

I don't know what is wrong with the Framework GUI.  The panels have the
option included, the show command shows the values being passed, but the
underlying script just doesn't work.  I have no idea why the book says
"N/A" because the daemon still does this function (and it makes no sense to
have it on the panel and in the man pages, and then not do it).  But I did
not develop V5.  I am just a bug fixer.  (maybe they'll assign me this
one!)

Here's how to manually configure trapd:
(1) Find the option you want  in the man pages for trapd.  In this case it
is -Mhostname to forward all traps.
(2) cd /usr/OV/lrf and edit trapd_dm.lrf
(3)  This is a colon-delimited file.  Look for the part that says
OVs_YES_START:  After that are the daemons which must be up before this
daemon, and then its options.  If you have no options, it looks like this:
     OVs_YES_START:nvsecd,pmd::OVs_WELL_BEHAVED::
You want to add your options to whatever is between the colons that are
flanked by OVs_YES_START and OVs_WELL_BEHAVED.  So your entry will look
like this (using my hostname):
     OVs_YES_START:nvsecd,pmd:-Mjshanks.raleigh.ibm.com:OVs_WELL_BEHAVED::
If there is an other option already present, you separate them with a comma
and a space, like this:
     OVs_YES_START:nvsecd,pmd:-x,
-Mjshanks.raleigh.ibm.com:OVs_WELL_BEHAVED::
(4) Once you have saved the file, ovstop your daemon (ovstop trapd)
(5) Issue   ovdelobj /usr/OV/lrf/trapd_dm.lrf   to de-register the old
trapd configuration
(6) Issue  ovaddobj /usr/OV/lrf/trapd_dm.lrf to register the new trapd
configuration.
(7) ovstart
(8) ps -ef | grep trapd   should show your daemon running with his new
option

This procedure can be generalized to any NetView daemon.  These commands,
and the use of lrf files, is documented in the Administrator's Reference if
you are interested.  I believe that is dynatext-only in V5.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

DignardM@STENTOR.CA on 06/30/98 11:00:04 AM