NetView /Transcend Question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView /Transcend Question
From: Kristi L Smith <kxsmith@REGENCE.COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:22:04 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Our Network Support staff ran into a problem yesterday while trying to
configure Transcend's StatusWatch and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen
this problem. We have Transcend 4.2.1 and NetView 4.1.2 for AIX running on
our management server.

The Network staff added the NetView server (by IP address) as a device to
monitor under StatusWatch. They got no error messages from Transcend but
started getting 'authentication failure' traps in the NetView event log
from multiple network devices immediately following the change.  We found
later that adding the NetView server to StatusWatch caused the
/usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf_db directory to become corrupted and our NetView
SNMP Configuration window to display only the global default information.
We were able to reproduce the behavior and the second time, the
/usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf_db directory was removed completely.  The
StatusWatch configuration was not saved at any point.

The Transcend documentation indicates that the only supported devices under
StatusWatch are 3Com switches and hubs but we were able to add other
non-supported devices to StatusWatch without any adverse effects.  We are
following up with Transcend support.

Thanks,
Kristi Smith
Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon