Re: Availability of routers & interfaces

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Availability of routers & interfaces
From: Jannie van Zyl <jannie@SNSCON.CO.ZA>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:56:35 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
All,

Pinging objects will give reachability.

But don't confuse this with Availability which is the real status of the device
being monitored and not the Management Station's view of what it thinks the
status is.

To get proper Availability, you need to use MIB-II variables such as sysUpTime,
ifLastChange, ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus with calculations around them.
This will require some coding of some sort, i.e. not a straight snmpCollect
issue.

Just wanted to clarify this :)

Regards