DNS and MSS

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: DNS and MSS
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:37:51 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Can anyone advise???
I have NetView V5 and Nways Campus Manager 1.2.1 managing, amongst other
things, 8265s.  The 8265's have MSS modules and act as routers.  Each
MSS has a number of real IP interfaces and I have a default gateway that
failsover from 1 MSS to the other ie. sometimes 9.180.128.254 (the
default gateway) is attached to one MSS and sometimes to the other.

There have been a number of good articles on this forum re NetView and
DNS that basically advise putting ALL interfaces in the DNS reverse
lookup files and either putting all interfaces in the forward lookup or
just the "loopback" address if a router supports this customisation.
What advice can anyone offer for DNS and my MSS default gateway that
sometimes needs to resolve to mss1.fred.com and sometimes to
mss2.fred.com??

Any help gratefully appreciated,
Jane
--