Re: Ovstart/Ovstop

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ovstart/Ovstop
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 15:02:55 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
In NetView V5 the "smit nv6000" menu has been moved to the Tivoli Desktop.
Anything you run under the NetView Server menu in the Tivoli Desktop will be
run as root, e.g. starting and stopping NetView daemons.  Another option, if
you still need command line access is to install a tool on the AIX box that
allows you to run commands as root.  We have a tool like that (I do not know
its name), and all I have to do is prefix the NetView command with pbrun,
e.g. "pbrun /usr/OV/bin/ovstart".  The systems administrator had to define
security rules in the tool to authorize my userID to run the NetView
commands.