Re: Ovstart/Ovstop

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ovstart/Ovstop
From: "Art C. DeBuigny" <art_man@MAILEXCITE.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:55:54 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This is probably not the most dignified way to do this, but it does work.

Create a protected directory somewhere on your box, giving file create
permissions to only those folks who need to run ovstart ovstop, etc.

Then create a shell script that searches for flag files.  It can test for the
presence of ovstart.flag, and if that file shows up, the script (which starts
at boot time and is root) will kick it off for you.  Make sure your script
deletes the flag file or else it will keep on going.

My file sleeps for two minutes, then scans for files.  It is mostly used so
that my operations people can compress the databases once a week.

Art DeBuigny
debuigny@dallas.net

http://www.mailexcite.com