Re: problem with segments

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: problem with segments
From: Tuchyna Roman <Tuchyna@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:46:31 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
On Tuesday, July 21, 1998 12:21 PM, Jim Kellock [SMTP:jkelloc@ibm.net]
wrote:
> You mention hubs but no routers. Do you have a flat IP network? If so,
> you may have only one IP subnet.

I can see clear all of our networks and routers and I have snmp access
to our routers,
at the network level of IP topology I can see Segment1 as star center
and then hubs, switch and routers as branches from Segment1 and no other
segments.

Roman

> If not, I've seen this kind of problem when you are using a seedfile
> that causes discovery of devices on remote segments without
discovering
> the routers in between.  On the IBM 9.0.0.0 class A, for example,
which
> is heavily subnetted, where some of us live as customers on the
> production network, where community names are not public/private just
> avoid multiple Netviews banging on routers, if we point to a reachable
> subnet several hops away and cannot talk snmp to any of the
intervening
> router interfaces, we often get a "9" subnet with all kinds of stuff
in
> it because Netview can't initially pick up the mask and makes
> assumptions about all the class A addresses it finds.
>
> And the append below is correct that LNM uses bridging and spanning
tree
> to display layer 2 topology, but that has no relationship to your IP
> network.
>
> I think you need to make sure your routers are being discovered.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Uwe Richter wrote:
> >
> > Hallo Roman,
> >
> > you have right.
> > I don't sure, but I thing Netview makes more Segments in
Network-Submap, then

<SMTP:NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU> =====

> > >Yes, I can use xnmbrowser for checking snmp variables from hubs,
but I
> > >guess netmon needs subnetmask just for discovering networks,
segment
> > >discovering is realized by identifying connector devices such hubs,
> > >bridges... (maybe I'm wrong...???)
> > >
> > >Roman

<SMTP:NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
> > >=====