Re: problem with segments

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: problem with segments
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:47:01 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Uwe, you are almost right. Netview draws one segment per protocol per network.
It does NOT
attempt to show relationships between nodes and hubs and bridges, other than
the fact that they
share a network address, and it shows this by putting them in the same segment,
if they are of
the same protocol, or in different segments in the same network submap
('network' here meaning
'subnet' as defined by the subnet mask.) The only devices drawn as Connectors
are routers.
Routers are anything with multiple interfaces and ipforwarding turned on. This
is on the IP Internet
submap (to map).  Desgnating things as H or B only gets them promoted from the
Segment level
submap to the Network level submap.

You have probably seen LNM/6000, or its current incarnation, the LNM component
of Nways
Manager for AIX, which is able to draw LAN segments between bridges, etc. This
is largely
a TokenRing tool, and gets its information from proprietary mibs in the network
devices. It is a
separate topology. Netview does not provide this function in the IP Map
application.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

Hallo Roman,

you have right.
I don't sure, but I thing Netview makes more Segments in Network-Submap, then
Netview detect more Interface-Types (over SNMP) in a IP-Network.
I've seen a Layer2-Network with Nways and LNM-Option.

Does anybody known this perfectly ?

Uwe