Re: NetView forwarding to multiple TEC servers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView forwarding to multiple TEC servers
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:03:31 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Event forwarding to two TECs simultaneously?
According to what I read, TEC does not support this.  What it supports is a
primary and any number of backups, which the adapter is supposed to try in
sequence when the primary fails.  As soon as it finds one that responds,
then that is the new primary.  It is supposed to switch back when the
primary becomes available again. You won't find any doc in TEC about
sending to two at the same time -- at least I haven't.

But you MIGHT make this work by using two adapters, since they would be
ignorant of each other, and as luck would have it, there are two available
for NetView.  There is the internal one in nvserverd and there is the
external one shipped with TEC, tecad_nv6k.  They use totally different
files for configuration, so you should be able to get one to send to one
NetView and the other to another. But, I hasten to add, I have not tried
this.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Ken Guettler <Ken.Guettler@MARYVILLE.COM> on 07/29/98 11:42:44 AM