Re: can not start netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: can not start netview
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:58:41 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
My advice is that you verify that snmpd is running (use startsrc -s snmpd
if it is not) and then try starting the daemons one at a time to try to
find out which one is the problem.  Then I recommend you call Support and
get some personalized help for this problem.

The order of startup is determined by the /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf file.  If you
browse that file you will see entries which begin with 0 or 1.  Those which
begin with 0 are current; the others are old and can be ignored.  ovspmd
reads this file when you enter ovstart and reads each entry.  When he finds
a "0" entry, he looks to see whether the prerequisite daemons have been
started, and i so, he starts that daemon.  He makes multiple passes through
the file until everything has been started.  The very first daemon whih mut
be up is nvsecd.  Nothing important will start if he does not start first.
Can't get him started?  My guess is that you have somehow messed up the
security configuration.  You can disable security in file
/usr/OV/security/conf/sec.conf.
You can set SECURITY_LEVEL_FLAG=OFF.

If nvsecd starts, then you can try just ovstart and wait.  If that doesn't
do it, then I recommend trying
ovstart nvsecd
ovstart pmd
ovstart ovwdb
ovstart trapd
ovstart ovtopmd
ovstart nvcold
ovstart netmon

If you can get these guys up, the rest should follow easily with just
ovstart.

Good luck.  Be sure to call Support if this doesn't help.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

GDES Khoury Cassis Jhony <jkhoury@COMERCIO.COM.PE> on 08/04/98 02:06:02 PM

      NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>