Re: Login Information

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Login Information
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:56:08 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Erdinc Degirmencioglu wrote:

> Try
> /usr/OV/bin/nvsec_admin
> then select QUERY ALL to show who's logged on.
> You need to have security switched on for this to work (and be logged on
> /usr/OV/bin/nvauth). NV V5 Admin Guide chapter 2. Check it out......
>
> Erdinc.
> --
> Erdinc Degirmencioglu
> LAN Services Production Centre,
> Infrastructure/Product Development,
> Barclays Technology Services, Second Floor Block 10 (E3)
> Radbroke Hall, Knutsford, Cheshire, WA16 9EU
> Voice +44 (0)1565 61 5738
> Fax   +44 (0)1565 61 5518
> Email Erdinc.Degirmencioglu@barclays.co.uk
>
> ----------

  Thanks for the response, but it is not a solution to our problem.

We do not want all levels of user to have access to nvsec_admin. Also, I did
not make it clear that we need access to the login information from one of our
own applications for a number of reasons. We will have two NetView managers on
our network and we want each to be able to determine what the other is being
used for.

We can get the user id by reading sec_audit_log and we can probably deduce the
group id (which is the more important information) by determining the user's
capabilities with a call to Is_client_authorised or Get_client_permissions. I
feel there ought to be a simpler, and more elegant, way of getting this
information and I would like to know if anyone is aware of one.

Thanks again

Jon Needes