Re: up/down ruleset

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: up/down ruleset
From: Netview Operator <netview@NV1.HSNET.UFL.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:22:17 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hey Greg-

Not sure whether you are after real time notification so you can do something
about it or you just want to know about reboots (and finding out after the
rebootee is back up is okay).  If the latter, a data collection on sysUpTime
like:

mode: Don't Store, Check Threshholds
polling interval: 3m
Trap number: 58720263
Threshold: 180000
source: <I used a wild card to match any node on our network and we only
"manage" nodes of "interest" so we're not querying every IP address>
rearm: 179999

rearm event...
Event Log Message: $3
Popup notification (doesn't work): $2 Rebooted or Power-Failure
Command for Automatic Action:(echo Sysuptime under 3 minutes at; date ;echo for
$2 was it rebooted?) | /usr/bin/mail -s 'Sysuptime under 3 min $2' netmgrs

so the email alias netmgrs gets email whenever the system uptime on a managed
device falls below 3 minutes causing rearm of the data collection threshold.
Sysuptime under 3 minutes is pretty much a guarantee the device restarted in the
last three minutes and is more reliable than coldstart traps which may not make
it to Netview anyway.

Hope this helps.

Randy Martin
Shands Healthcare