Re: Netview Client

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Client
From: Stephen_Hochstetler@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:11:05 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Michael,

Using NetView client instead of an X-client is actually easier on the
machine, less network traffic.
Are you running 10MB Ethernet?   You may be dropping some packets which
mean that you miss
some status traps being sent to the NetView client.   Since the X-client
gets its status traps via
loopback, it does not depend on the network.      When my customers clean
up the bottlenecks
on their infrastructure, the problem has always gone away.     Once in a
while I have also found
bad interface cards this way.   It talks, but it does drop some packets.

When this happens, there is a quicker way to reset all status than to
refresh the map.    All you
have to do is to stop the "ipmap" process that is running for your Netview
Session.    Make sure
it is your ipmap and no one elses.    Netview automatically restarts it and
 you will see your
map drop into "sync" mode while it verifies the status of all icons.

Steve Hochstetler
Tivioli Professional Services

Michael Seibold wrote,