Re: Node placement problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Node placement problem
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:19:44 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Neal,

Besides what Peter wrote, there is another reason you could have multiple
symbols:

If you have devices with multiple interfaces acting as routers, netview
wants to add these symbols into each network symbol in which the object
has an interface and in each map that contains a network symbol to
which the router has a connection.  For example in my map, ovtopodump
of a object yeilds:
CLASS    OBJECT ID      OBJECT               STATUS    IP ADDRESS
NODES    104241/104242  mahwhgate2.routernet.ups.com Up        10.227.9.20
         104241/104804  mahwhgate2.routernet.ups.com Up        10.250.23.150
         104241/104805  mahwhgate2.routernet.ups.com Up        153.2.0.2

In this case Netview will should put the symbol for the object in 3
networks.  Also, if I have location submaps that contain one of these
networks, Netview will want to place a symbol for the router into that
submap.

If this is the case, when you drag the object onto the root map, it
will make a connection to where Netview wants to place it.  Cut and
paste the object into that map. If it connects to another Location or
submap, cut and paste it into there.  Keep doing that until you have it
finally connecting to a network symbol.  If in that submap, there exists
a symbol already for that object and it connects to the same network,
than you have another problem, perhaps the one Peter Describes.

--
Ray Schafer            The Kernel Group         http://www.tkg.com
schafer@tkg.com        +1 212 880 6444          Pager: (800) 532-4722