Objects database

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Objects database
From: Rob Rinear <robr@DIRIGO.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:14:42 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'm concerned about the size of my object database, currently at 29,000
objects.  Running on an AIX 4.2.1 box with a 333mhz processor and 1GB RAM,
Netview (v5) is still doing OK, but performance isn't great.  I'm
considering an entry in my seed file to discover only snmp-capable devices
as previously discussed here, but I'd like to know some other info:

1. Is there an absolute limit on number of objects?
2. Is there a practical limit - based on experience - that is significant?
3. Are there any "gotcha's" to deleting non-snmp devices and using the seed
file as mentioned above to not rediscover them?

Thanks

Rob Rinear
Dirigo Incorporated
Systems and Network Management Solutions
(513) 421-6500
robr@dirigo.com
http://www.dirigo.com