Re: event history CI problems (was nothing)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: event history CI problems (was nothing)
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:34:28 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Normally  /usr/OV/service/reset_ci  fixes "Error connecting with CI"
problems.
That is what it is designed to do.  If it doesn't work, then you have some
kind of problem with your hostname and IP address.  Something deosn't match
but I don't know what.

I would make certain that you have an entry in your /etc/hosts for your own
box as well as 127.0.0.1 for localhost.  I would also make certain that
"hostname" and "host <your_ip_addr>" give you correct responses.  If you
are using DNS, try nslookup also.

Finally, you could  see what is in the CI entry in the NetView database
with this command:
     ovorsutil -d  > "myfile"
You will want to redirect the output to a file so you can look at it
closely.  In it you will see many entries, some of which will contain your
IP address and some your hostname.  Make sure that all of these are
correct.  If they don't match what you got back from your name resolution
commands, that is the problem.  But the only way I know to fix it is to get
name resolution for your own box working correctly and then run reset_ci
again.

Good luck and please do not hestitate to call Support if you need help.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Bryk, Robert" <RBRYK@ALLSTATE.COM> on 08/25/98 01:57:40 PM

      NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>