Re: WinNT MLM Alias Table Updates

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: WinNT MLM Alias Table Updates
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:30:48 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I recently had the same problem (with UNIX MLMs). It is now solved.  Here
are some suggestions:

Make sure that you have netmon configured correctly. Either use an MLM seed
file to tell netmon which MLM's to use or define the MLM prefix for the
collection, and use the -g or -G flag to tell netmon to use the MLM's for
status or status and discovery.

Do any nodes in your MLM collection contain "-"'s in thier host names?  If
so, you may need a fix for netmon. Call support, tell them you have dashes
in you host names and netmon won't update the MLM alias tables.

Finally, make sure that netmon connects to nvcold.  One way to check this is
to start netmon in full debug (trace flag set to -1), watch the netmon.trace
file for the string "collectiond_sock_fd =". If you don't see it after the
daily checks are done, and a few polling cycles, you may have to delete the
object that represents the server itself from the database, and let it
rediscover itself.