Re: Interface Down Events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Interface Down Events
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:20:19 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
A few words of caution about relying on the Agent traps for interface down.
   I don't know about Cisco routers, but most IBM and 3com routers send
their agent traps via UDP.  UDP transport does not gaurantee trap delivery
as would TCP.  So if the packet is lost along the way, you'll never get it.
Netmon will poll the interface, and if it's down, you will know about it
within a polling interval.

   It is quite possible that you could not recieve any traps at all if
something happens to the link(s) between you and the router.  Sure there is
redundancy, but even that is not always perfect.  I have yet to meet a
router who can send a trap while powered off :-).

   It is quite possible, using Mid-Level-Managers, to get the status polling
intervals down to a minute or two.  Not quite real time, but close!