Re: RS6000 SP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: RS6000 SP
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:00:39 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We have implemented Tivoli and Netview V4, and V5 on an SP at AIX 4.1.5, and
4.2.1.  We are now migrating to AIX 4.3 - so far so good but you need the
X11R5 compatibility libraries for Netview.

We have Netview clients and MLM's communicating over the switch, and have
one client outside the SP.  Because of how Netview is written, we needed to
set up static routes so that we reference the same hostname for the server
on all clients: inside and outside the SP.  Since the switch is brought up
late in the boot sequence, we had to change the netview daemon startup into
an rc script that waits for the switch interface to become available on the
server, before the daemons are started and the static routes are added.  The
performance over the switch is awesome.  The environment is very stable -
they have been up for over a year except for some hardware maintenance we
did early this year on the server.

Tivoli on the SP is also really nice.
Feel free to e-mail me directly for specific questions.
--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Network Computing Consulting