Re: Netview on SUN Platform

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview on SUN Platform
From: Bonnie Jundt <bonnie_jundt@MAIL.UND.NODAK.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:49:20 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
James Shanks also cautioned me.  Thank you James and David.   I did some
checking and it appears that the same situation is true for the Cisco management
software.  From the research I've been doing, it seems that making a decision to
switch to SUN would include switching to HPOV or SDM, as you suggested.  The
advantage I see is that software is developed and tested for HPOV ahead of AIX.
I am leaning toward a 'wait and see' what happens in the next year approach.  I
would like to see and use Netview 5.1 before making a decision.

>>> David Easter <David_Easter@BAYNETWORKS.COM> 09/15 1:14 PM >>>
Hi Bonnie,

  Just as a side note - while Optivity NMS 8.1 does support the Solaris
2.5.1 and 2.6 Operating Systems, we don't currently support NetView for
Solaris.  Support for NetView on Solaris occurs in the NMS 9.0 release
coming in early '99.

  You could switch to HPOV or SDM and maintain support for Optivity NMS
8.1, however I assume that since you're posting to the NetView mailing list
that you intend to stick with NetView.

  FYI...

-David J. Easter
Product Manager - Optivity NMS, Network Management Division
Bay Networks, Inc. - Where Information Flows.

-=-Regarding-=-

At 02:24 PM 9/2/98 -0500, Bonnie Jundt wrote:
>A decision has been made at our location to switch from IBM/AIX to
SUN/Solaris
>for our network management system.  We currently have AIX 4.2, Netview V4R1,
>CiscoWorks 4.0, CWSI 1.3 and Optivity 8.1.  We also plan to run Cisco
Resource