Re: Sendmail.cf setup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Sendmail.cf setup
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:49:17 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello, Anthony;

Not so easy to configure sendmail. However, if it is running in a "normal"
environment, you will hardly have to change mailers and transcription rules.
Generally, you will check the basic macros, such as D, j, w, relay host, smart
host and some options, e.g. maximum number of hops, aliases, etc. If you do not
use DNS, use the relay host in the macro R.

The configuration also depends upon your sendmail version. There are differences
between for instance, sendmail 5.64 and sendmail 8.x. I suppose, you are going
to use the latest version.

Also, it is a good idea to test your sendmail.cf. Create a copy of the file and
use it for testing with verbose output. For instance, save the sendmail.cf as
sendmail.cf.new. After you have made some changes to the copy, execute

/<your_path_to_sendmail>/sendmail -t -v -Csendmail.cf.new

Send a message immediately after having entered the command to some user and the
sendmail will provide you with what it is doing and where the message is going,
what errors have appeared, etc. After everything works fine, rename it back to
sendmail.cf and use it.

Read man sendmail, for there is some info if you have never configured that. The
file itself contains comments. A good starting point is Craig Hunt's TCP/IP
Network Administration.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Vladimir.

--
Vladimir Petr

Datasys, s.r.o.
mail: petr@datasys.cz
If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well
It were done quickly.