Re: NV 5.1 "nvsniffer" config.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NV 5.1 "nvsniffer" config.
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:59:34 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Joe,
NetView V5.1 nvsniffer will create an icon for each service at
the "Interface" submap level, and then change the color of that
service icon.  If you have the propogation set to "propogate
most critical" (not the default) set in the service smart-set, then
you will see the icon change in the top-level service smart-set.
If not... then you won't.

In regard to the event that is  sent -- this will be a
"Service Event Normal/Narginal/Critical", and not an Interface event.

You have to remember that when you start this up, that you can
have a "discovery" test, and a "status" test.

To make sure that the status is checked periodically, you should
have started nvsniffer with the following two flags:
  -s    = check status
  -r xx = run check (viat at-job) every xx minutes

I would also suggest that you  limit the number of threads
that are running (e.g. -t 2) since this could eat a lot of CPU.  I'd also
also be aware of the timeout value  (i.e. -T xx).

Regards,

Gary Boyles, gary.p.boyles@intel.com