RE : Setting fields in NV database

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE : Setting fields in NV database
From: Jeffrey_Snover@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 07:23:04 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>Does anyone have an example of code of how to loop through the entire NV
>database in order to set a specific field?  I have code that sets a field
>for a specific NV Selection name, but now I want to cycle through the
entire
>NV database looking for any selection names that have a particular value
for
>this specific field and then change it accordingly.

FYI:  This is something that can be accomplished using NVDBFORMAT and
NVDBIMPORT together.
NVDBFORMAT selects objects and fields of those objects and produces a
formated output according
to your specification.  NVDBIMPORT sets fields in the object database
according to your specification
(modelled along the lines of a mail-merge program).  You can set up
NVDBFORMAT to output
data in a format that can be consumed by NVDBIMPORT.   You probably already
have this problem
solved but I encourage you to learn this approach  - I think you'll find it
VERY powerful and useful.

Enjoy.

Jeffrey

NOTE: NVDBFORMAT and NVDBIMPORT have been available on NT for a while now
and
will be shipping with V5.1 of UNIX.