Re: Trap customization question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Trap customization question
From: Kostas Kottos <K.Kottos@ASYK.ASE.GR>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:48:21 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Adriana,

  James is right. You can not define a new enterprise ID for Cisco traps
and expect your Netview to understand and receive this group
of traps from the Cisco device. Cisco and only Cisco can define a new
Enterprise ID for its products.  When Cisco releases a
new module or functionality (for example environmental monitors or isdn
functionality) , it usually adds a new enterprise ID in its private MIB
tree and writes an MIB file in order to make the new functionality
accesible from SNMP managers (like Netview). You take the MIB
file then and run mib2trap script with it, in order to produce addtrap
commands and include the new trap definitions into your trapd.conf file.
This is the case, unless you are the vendor of a new device which has
its own enteprise ID (and private MIB tree).

 Hope this helps,

Kostas Kottos
ASYK, Greece