NetView Maintenance

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView Maintenance
From: Mark_Stowers@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:22:57 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello all,
     I only get the daily log version of the Listserver, but I have seen
the conversation about NetView maintenance and thought it was time for me
to chime in and provide some details of our plans to support NetView 5.1
which hopefully will make everyone happy.  I am the NetView Level 3 manager
and James, who works for me, has done a pretty good job of explaining our
current situation with regard to defect support of NetView 5.0.
Unfortunately, due to a number of factors, our ability to provide
maintenance for 5.0 is limited.  NetView 5.1 became a maintenance release
in addition to a new function release and ultimately, the decision to
correct all version 5 defects in 5.1 was made by me in conjunction with the
development manager.  So, if you want to vent, send the "nasty grams" to me
(don't copy the listserver so we can avoid the clutter).  I realize that
this has had a negative impact on a number of you and for that, I aplogize.
However, I can say with a great deal of confidence that NetView 5.1 has
significantly improved the overall quality of the product and I would
strongly encourage each of you to migrate as soon as possible.  Of course,
there will probably still be software bugs found (believe me, I long for
the day when all the defects are resolved), but NetView 5.1 puts us in a
position to provide support for version 5 in much the same fashion as
NetView version 4.  What that means is:
   We plan to ship maintenance releases on a regular basis (approximately
   every 3-4 months).  The next maintenance release is currently planned to
   ship before year end.
   Maintenance releases will contain all APAR fixes resolved since the
   previous shipment of code.  They will install via the Tivoli patch
   methodology.  This is not an upgrade, but rather is similar to applying
   a PTF on version 4.
   Like version 4, there is no plan to make formal patches available for
   individual APARs.  Rather, an e-fix can be made available in cases where
   the need and severity warrants.
Hope this helps to clarify our direction for support!!
                                   Mark Stowers

Manager, NetView for UNIX/NT Level 3 Support
MSTOWERS at TIVOLI (for VM users), Mark Stowers@Tivoli Systems (for IBMUS
users), mstowers@tivoli.com
919-254-4804 or 8-444-4804