Re: WG: NV Migration tool

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: WG: NV Migration tool
From: Scott Wilson <swilson@RPM.COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:01:40 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I have done a migration (nearly complete) 5.0 to 5.1 with CiscoWorks,
CiscoWorks Blue, and CWSI.  The 3rd party app's were okay, but be sure to
check the entries in oid_to_type and oid_to_sym to be sure they maintain
accuracy - I found a few problems, not many.  Also there are bugs in the
migration process, particularly with any customizations to trapd.conf.  Be
sure to test as you go and call support - they do seem to have a good grasp
on the problems and the work arounds.  I also understand from support that
many of the problems that I saw arose from the migration of 5.0 to 5.1 and
would not be an issue in a clean 5.1 installation.

Additional warning:  I was told by support NOT to install the Framework
SuperPatch for FW 3.2 when installing/upgrading NV 5.1 on AIX 4.2 - the
SuperPatch is supposedly bug ridden.  The release notes implied to me that
it was required, but support said no to the SuperPatch on AIX 4.2.1  ( I
think that it IS required on AIX 4.3, but I would confirm before
installing).

Oh yeah, and be SURE that you have a good/valid/clean backup before starting
the upgrade!

HTH,

Scott

Ernst Ziegler wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I migrated lst week from NetView 5.0 to NetView 5.1.
> > We are running CiscoWorks, CiscoView, Cisco ATM Manager, CISCO Vlan
> > director and Markvision
> > All the applications were migrated to NetView 5.1 w/o any problems.
> >
> > --Ernst--
> >

> > Ernst Ziegler,
> > R+V Versicherung Wiesbaden
> > Tel +49 611 533 6724
> > email ernst.ziegler@rv-versicherung.de

Scott Wilson                         Email: swilson@rpm.com
Network Management Consultant        Pager: 800-506-7348
RPM Consulting, Inc.