Re: snmpcdmp (snmpColDump)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpcdmp (snmpColDump)
From: Michael Seibold PTS/M-SW <mseibold@STR.DAIMLER-BENZ.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:41:07 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Jeffrey,

look at

http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html

to see something about mrtg. The problem with mrtg is (at least if you
have a lot of devices to manage) that it is a standalone solution and
you have to configure everything you have already in Netview
(communities, Interfaces/MIB's to poll, polling rate, ...) again.

Our problems with reporting are following:

- our IBM support told us not to use relational databases due to
performance problems (>1000 Routers in our network)
- we wanted to buy the IBM reporting tool just in the moment, when it
was withdrawn from the market
- management decision is to buy the Tivoli reporting tool coming next
year
- we have to do customer reporting now and can't wait 'til next year

That's the reason why we don't want to buy another reporting tool, just
to throw it away next year (NetworkHealth by example would be about 2
million $ for our requirements).

So I decided to use some public domain tools for reporting until the
Tivoli solution is available, but unfortunately I can't give away this
solution. Thats why I mentioned the possibility to start a little
project "out of office", as it seems that a lot of other NV users have
the same problem.

Michael Seibold