Re: snmpcdmp (snmpColDump)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpcdmp (snmpColDump)
From: Jeffrey_Snover@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 07:27:47 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>I think we all have the same problem producing reports. The easiest way
>to produce reports from routers seems to be mrtg

With NetView/NT, the collected SNMP data is stored directly into a
relational database.
As such, you can use most any reporting tool to directly access the data
via ODBC.  Crystal
Reports works just fine using this technique.  Also remember that you have
the NVDBEXPORT
command.  This is a meta-data driven export program that moves OVWDB data
into
a set of relational database tables.  There are a set of defaults but it is
meta-data driven
so if you don't like the tables we create or the fields we export - just
change them.

So now you can get Topo data, OVWDB data, SNMP collect data, and Event data
in
relational databases and spend a couple hundred dollars to get a superstar,
off-the-shelf reporting package to access this data directly.  Go for it.

Jeffrey

PS: What is MRTG?