Installing Netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Installing Netview
From: Ken Bolingbroke <ken@TONSERV.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:59:02 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
After a total hard disk failure (without backup naturally), I was tasked with
re-installing our Netview station.  Unfortunately, the installation process is
the most error-prone I've ever seen.

After several attempted re-installs of TME 10 and Netview, I'm ready to throw
the whole pile of junk out the window.  Unfortunately, the boss won't let me.
Neither will he authorize the Tivoli classes it seems like everyone else takes
before they run this software.

I've got an open ticket with Tivoli tech support, but they're slow and I hate
waiting a day or more between replies.  So if anyone here can help me out, I'd
greatly appreciate it.

First of all, although I already have a short list of corrections and additions
from Tivoli to supplement the manuals, does anyone have a comprehensive list of
'gotchas' to watch out for while installing TME 10 and Netview?

Secondly, although I'm still waiting to hear back from Tivoli on this one, does
anyone know why I get this error after issuing the 'odadmin reexec' command as
instructed on page 1-28 of the Netview Installation and Configuration manual:

---
# odadmin reexec
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program odadmin because of the following errors:
        0509-022 Cannot load library libwo.a[shr.o].
        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not
exist.
---

Any help on getting around this and the other problems I encounter while
installing Netview would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Bolingbroke
ken@tonserv.com