Re: nvaddtrapdconf failure

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvaddtrapdconf failure
From: "Houle, Stephen A" <sh32829@IMCNAM.SBI.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:25:48 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Some vendors (Cisco) like to put long event descriptions all on one line in
trapd.conf and count on Netview to wrap the lines in the textbox in the
interface.  However, vaddtrapdconf uses awk for most of its work, and awk
can't handle lines larger than 99 words (each word being a field).  All you
need to do is edit your trapd.conf and any file you want to add to it, and
change long single line descriptions into multiple shorter lines.  Then
nvaddtrapdconf should work fine.

I don't know why Tivoli doesn't use perl for this kind of stuff.

Steve

--
Steve Houle
Enterprise Management