Ping Interface from NetView 5.1 Web Interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Ping Interface from NetView 5.1 Web Interface
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:56:32 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I was surprised by this. I assumed that when I selected the interface and went
to diagnostics
I would be doing diagnostics on the interface; well, at least the pinging. But
it looks like
you are right, the diagnostics are for the address that the router name
resolves to. I guess
we are supposed to type in the address if we want to ping something else. See
one on the
submap view, and type it in. Maybe this is part of the streamlining that was
done that makes
this version of the web client so much easier to navigate, and perform so much
better.

Anybody figure out what that 'view tasks' button next to the address field is
for?

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

Does anyone know how to ping a device interface from the NetView web?  There
is a PING function on the Diagnostics page, but it seems to only work at the
device level, i.e. it pings the hostname of the device.  That's fine if
there is only one interface on a device.  In the case of routers, this is
usually not the case, so the capability to PING an interface by its IP
address is desirable.

Joel Gerber
Network Management
Network Services - USAA