Unmanaging interfaces for Scheduled Maintenance

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Unmanaging interfaces for Scheduled Maintenance
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:14:16 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
There is not an api for unmanaging, but there are probably some approaches
you could try. One customer I know cuts and pastes devices into a special
location icon during the maintenance period  so their operators know to
ignore them. You might also make use of collections for this. With V5.1 you
could use nvdbimport to set a field (underConstruction) on a list of
devices.
This CAN be automated.
The presence of the devices in that collection would indicate to operators
that the status of those devices is not significant. Anything in there can
be
unmanaged, or maybe acknowledged. I like to keep another collection
of things that are in Acknowledged status, as a reminder of problems I am
masking. You might consider the option of changing the behavior of Ack
(in the OVw app-defaults file) to persist until unset by hand, rather than
being reset automatically when devices come up (good for flickering nodes).

Some combination of these capabiities might give you a solution. Anyone
else?

            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -
- - - - --  - - - - - - - - - - -

Is it possible to configure NetView to *automatically* unmanage a
particular
interface(s) during a specific day(s)/time(s)?  That is, is there a command
that one can execute from the command line to unmanage a specific interface
and/or node during a specific time and then re-manage the interface after
the time?  I know we can do this via a manned person in the NV maps, but I
am looking for something that I can do on a scheduled basis and not
requiring a NV map administrator.  Thanks,

Joe Prokott - West Group
Network Architect
610 Opperman Drive
St. Paul, MN  55123