Netview and DNS and Reverse DNS

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Netview and DNS and Reverse DNS
From: Dan Cox <dcox@LEXMARK.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:25:32 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
When netview discovers a router and all its interfaces which interface does it
use to label it on the netview map.  Does it use reverse dns lookup of the first
interface it finds and use that name?  How do I make it discover a loopback and
then use the name of the loopback interface in DNS?  What is the best way to set
up my routers up in DNS and netview seedfile.

I think I remember someone saying that you sould put a record for all interfaces
on a router in reverse DNS and then put the loopback in forward DNS.  So no
matter what interface it finds it associates the correct name.  What do you
think?