Re: name resolution

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: name resolution
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:40:17 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Alain Menezes wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Can anyone tell me why on an RS6000 AIX 4.2.1
> when I do 'host <hostA>' and 'ping <hostA>' the IP adresses are not the same
> !!??
>
> Thanks

Yes.

The host command is similar to nslookup, it will attempt to resolve the
name from several sources.  I believe it checks DNS, then falls through
to /etc/hosts.

ping on the other hand will be subject to the namespace sequence or
order set in the operating system's configuration.  On AIX there's a
file similar to the /etc/nsswitch.conf file found on Solaris. I believe
it's something like /etc/namesvr.conf (but will have to double check).

Also, in several namespaces (including DNS), there is no requirement for
there to be a one to one mapping between IP addresses and hostnames.
If the resolution utility does not take this into account, it is likely
you get results like this.