Re: Differenct between SNMP trap and MIB

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Differenct between SNMP trap and MIB
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:25:23 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Traps have to be defined to trapd for two reasons -- performance and
additional customization.  An unformatted trap is one which does not have a
format stored in trapd.conf before it arrives at the NetView box for
processing.  You will still receive it and it will still display in the
Events window, but it will be labeled as "no fmt found".

 How you get that format into trapd.conf  is up to you.  There are several
ways.  You can do it manually through the GUI using Options--> Event
Configuration (or type xnmtrap on the command line) as root.   You can
construct an addtrap script (see the man page on addtrap).  Or you can use
mib2trap to construct the addtrap script if you have NetView Version 5.0 or
higher.  The mib2trap shipped in Version 5.1 has better defaults than the
one in 5.0 and so will work  better than the one in 5.0

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

John Luk <John.Luk@GOV.AB.CA> on 11/25/98 03:24:51 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>