SNMP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: SNMP
From: Moise Dignard <DignardM@STENTOR.CA>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:38:30 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
"SNMP includes a limited set of managment commands and responses. The
managment
system issues Get, GetNext and Set messages to retrieve single or multiple
object variables or to establish the value of a single
variable. The managed agent sends a Response message to complete the Get,
GetNext or Set. The managed agent sends an
event notification, called a trap to the managment system to identify the
occurrence of conditions such as threshold that
exceeds a predetermined value. In short there are only five primitive
operations:

       get (retrieve operation)
       get next (traversal operation)
       get response (indicative operation)
       set (alter operation)
       trap (asynchronous trap operation) "

What you see up there is the way I think NetView also operates. My question
is this:

   Does the SNMP deamon talk all the time or can we set it at different
   time interval (i.e. different polling time). Because someone is
   complaning that their box is spending to much CPU on snmpd (the snmp
   deamon)?

   Also I'm confused about "traps" and "MIB's'. Do they work together, are
   they both involve with snmpd, what is the difference between the two?

Thank you

Moe