Adding Nodes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Adding Nodes
From: Vince Rosso <Vince_Rosso@TRANSALTA.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:56:19 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Vince Rosso@TRANSALTA
01/12/98 08:56 AM

We are using  Netview v4.1on a Digital UNIX platform.   I am seeing a
couple of problems when adding file server nodes that contain either
multiple interface cards or a single interface card with multiple
addresses.   The file servers in this case are all running Windows NT v4.0.

1.  On the servers running multiple interfaces tied to unique networks,
when the object is added as a server the symbol changes to that of a
router/gateway and Netview tries to add it to the various maps as a
gateway.   I can hide the offending interfaces which are on private
networks in this case and not linked to the network we are monitoring.
However I cannot change the symbol type.    I'm sure there must be a better
approach to this.

2.  On the servers running multiple addresses off a single interface I am
seeing much the same problem as above.   The difference here is that the
interface in question is to be monitored, but the multiple addresses are
confusing to Netview.   I believe Microsoft refers to this configuration as
multiple homing.    These nodes are setup in DNS and in the Host tables
with only a single IP address.   Netview doesn't know how to interpret this
so it labels the node as a router/gateway with multiple interfaces.    With
this type of configuration is there some way to only work with one ip
address and ignore the others.

Thanks in advance for input and suggestions.