Re: New Product - Tivoli Manager for Network Connectivity

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: New Product - Tivoli Manager for Network Connectivity
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:51:54 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
James (or anyone else -- I realize James isn't a Marketeer).

Is there any more info available on this product?

For $25,000 a pop... I'd hope for a little more info... than
being able to solve this simple "root cause" problem.

The single problem that they mention  (i.e. having nodes NOT
report when a router interface goes down) isn't all that
hard to solve (from a NetView point-of-view of course).
What else can it do?

Really...  I'll offer to put together the code that will
solve this problem (for a lot less... from NetView,
of course!  I'll even throw in code that ignores
those pesky circuits that keep bouncing up and down,
and back up again!)

So really...  (turning the (small) flame off)... what else can
it do, and where do we get a little more in-depth data-sheet
on what this product is capable of?

My personal list of "I'd like to know's" include the following:
  a)  Does it do its own discovery (since it appears to be
      TEC-centric).
  b)  If it does, how can you tailor discovery?
  c)  Does it integrate with NetView (at all)?  If it does...
      does it look at the event-stream, or is it fired off
      as a process for each event?  Does it use the NetView
      topology, or does it have to use its own -- and use its
      own discovery process.
  d)  What is the list of "root cause" problems it attempts
      to solve?
  e)  How much CPU/memory/disk is required?
  f)  How exactly does it integrate  (i.e. is it started
      for each event)?
  g)  Does it integrate with the TEC-rules?
  h)  Does it integrate with NetView rules  (if it integrates)?
  i)  Does it provide a visible topology (for the TEC)?
  j)  How many events-per-second can it process?

Answers to the above... would be a nice start!

Regards,

Gary Boyles             gary.p.boyles@intel.com         916-356-4345