NV does not discover correct interface type

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NV does not discover correct interface type
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 23:17:36 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
That is correct, it is using the default. In Netview V5 you get to
configure this sort of thing.
Another wrinkle on this is that if a KNOWN type of interface is discovered
FIRST on a
subnet, a segment for that type will be created and the unknown interfaces
will be put
on that segment, rather than creating the separate segment for unknowns. So
if  you are
bothered by multiple segments, you could delete and rediscover the unknown
interfaces
and they would probably come back in  the known segment. This sometimes
works for
me.  But most of the time I ignore it, or consider it a feature. Just don't
get it stuck in your
mind that the bus symbol means ethernet, and you can get accustomed to it.

We are running NV 4 on AIX 4.2
When discovering the interfaces on a IBM 2210 router the PPP links are
displayed as a ethernet link. I think this is because, when browsing the
MIB
the interface type is declared as 64 which is not defined and Netview
defaults to using an ethernet interface.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Phil Gregory.

This outgoing e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked
(using Dr Solomon's v7.90) at MEB (UK 01384 296191) before
despatch, and has been found to be clean from any virus infection.

If you have any queries about viruses, please contact PC Tech
Support (09 3521) or about the external e-mail system, contact
David Perry (09 3673).