Re: New Objects types, how do I register new device type

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: New Objects types, how do I register new device type
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:12:41 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Mark van Kerkwyk wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I may have missing something obvious in the docuemntation , but I need
> to do a couple of things.
>
> 1. Netview does not recognise some of our routers as routers, they are all
> Cisco but some are different models to others, the symbol type is blank in
> some cases.
> How do I tell Netview that a particular device is a router or switch etc ?
>
> 2. I would like to add an "isSwitch" property, how do I add a property and
> how do I setup the criteria for a new property such as a switch ? Is there
> a particular SNMP variable which detotes that a device is a switch ?? How
> is a Hub defined to be a hub etc ?
>
> Mark :-)

  To add your own property you need to add your own field definition. You can
create your own file (or change an existing one) in the field/C directory with
lines like:

Field "isSwitch" {
        Type    Boolean;
        Flags   capability;
}

When you have finished run "netview -fields" as root.

You then need to add the capability to the appropriate symbol definition is
symbols/C. (You can, of course create a new symbol if you want).  Ther are
plenty of examples. Note that you can add a capability to an entire symbol
class as well as individual symbols.

Capabilities {
            isSwitch = 1;
}

When you have finished run "netview -config" as root.

This is where the problems start.  When you add an object to a map for the
first time it inherits the properties of the symbol you allocate to it, and I
think you can amend the capabilities if you wish.  If an object already exists
and you use the right mouse button menu Edit -> Modify/Describe -> Object you
can select the Capabilities and view them, but it is Read Only.  The only way
I have found to change the capabilities is the delete the object from all maps
and re-create it.  I have described this problem before but no-one offered a
better solution.

Your problem, as I understand it, is that NetView is discovering your routers,
but is not allocating the symbol you think is appropriate. I do not know how
NetView selects the symbol to use, but I do not think it can be expected to
recognise particular makes and models.  If there is an SNMP agent on the
device it may be able to describe the device to NetView, otherwise NetView
simply makes an educated guess based upon the interfaces it detects. You can
change the symbol type easliy enough under Edit on the object menu, but I do
not think this will change the underlying capabilities.

You may be able to delete the objects and re-create them before NetView
re-discovers them, but this may give you other problems.

I hope that this is of some help, and that someone else can give better
advice, which I will be interested to read myself.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK