New Objects types, how do I register new device type

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: New Objects types, how do I register new device type
From: Mark van Kerkwyk <kerkwyk@COMTECH.COM.AU>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:49:56 +1000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi all,
     I may have missing something obvious in the docuemntation , but I need
to do a couple of things.

1. Netview does not recognise some of our routers as routers, they are all
Cisco but some are different models to others, the symbol type is blank in
some cases.
How do I tell Netview that a particular device is a router or switch etc ?

2. I would like to add an "isSwitch" property, how do I add a property and
how do I setup the criteria for a new property such as a switch ? Is there
a particular SNMP variable which detotes that a device is a switch ?? How
is a Hub defined to be a hub etc ?

Mark :-)