Re: remote x-clients for nv5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: remote x-clients for nv5.1
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:24:17 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
James Shanks wrote:

> I don't know what to tell you exactly.  The NetView has problems even with
> the R6 library on AIX so we don't use it.
> As for Linux, you are on your own.  That is not a supported environment.
> If you get it to work, great, but you cannot report any problems you have
> as a "bug" to Support.
>
> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support
>
> REIBENSCHUH Alfred <alfred.reibenschuh@CAIT.CO.AT> on 12/10/98 09:51:47 AM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
>       NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>
> To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
> cc:    (bcc: James Shanks)
> Subject:  remote x-clients for nv5.1
>
> i'm currently testing Linux as an alternative remote x-client for
> netview
>
>         as of nv5.0 it was possible to
>                 export DISPLAY=aa.bb.cc.dd:0
>                 nv6000
>         to open a window on a linux-box
>         (either directly on the server console,
>         via rlogin or via telnet)
>
>         as of nv5.1 telnet displays nothing and if i try it
>         directly on the server console, the netview window
>         comes up, but vanishes before displaying the map.
>
> is this a bug or a feature ?
>
>         the linux box uses S.u.S.E. 5.3 (2.0.35) / XFree86 3.3.2 (X11R6.3)
>         the aix box uses AiX 4.2.1 (some kind of X11R5?)
>
> mfg. Alfred Reibenschuh
> iT-AUSTRIA Ges.m.b.h.
> Telekommunikation  -  LAN/WAN-Services  -  Netzwerkmanagement Konzepte
> T: +43-1-21717-58947
> E: alfred.reibenschuh@it-austria.com

  I am in the process of migrating from NetView 5.0 to 5.1 on AIX 4.2.1. I
have seen the sort of behaviour you have described when I have security
turned on.  I think that there may be problems in some of the SRFs which I am
still investigating.

The point of my reply is to ask if you are sure that your migration has been
successful.  Does NetView work if you do not expost the display to a Linux
box?

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK