Re: nv gui fails

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nv gui fails
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 09:55:05 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Only the NetView daemons are set up to core into /usr/OV/PD/cores.  The
user GUI will always coe into the home directory of the user who started
the process.     If the coring process is ipmap or ovw_binary, you could
format the nettl logs,
      netfmt -f  /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG00 > formatted.LOG00
      netfmt -f  /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG01 > formatted.LOG01
to see if there is more information available about what happened.  Then
you will need to run the
     /usr/OV/service/readcore
utility to get a stack trace.  The utility requires you to have dbx
installed.

For ipmap, the problem is almost always a bad/incomplete object in the
database, which, once removed, clears everything up.  I doubt there is
anything you can do about a core in ovw_binary except call Support.  I
suspect the same is true for an Nways core.

Good luck,
James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Dror Katzman <zdror@IL.IBM.COM> on 12/24/98 07:12:56 AM